STATIONS OF THE FURNESS RAILWAY

Main Line, Carnforth to Whitehaven

Only stations open on or after 1 January 1923 are listed.

CARNFORTH

Furness Railway 0 miles. Opened 22nd September 1846 by Lancaster & Carlisle Railway, Ulverston & Lancaster line platforms from 1857. Main line platforms closed from 4 May 1970. Current status: open, unstaffed.

Local attractions: BRIEF ENCOUNTER visitor centre in station building.

Pubs/hotels near station: ROYAL STATION HOTEL (opposite station; meeting place of RCTS Furness Lakes and Lune Branch).

SILVERDALE

14 miles from Carnforth. Opened 1 September 1857 by Ulverston & Lancaster Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

Local attractions: RSPB LEIGHTON MOSS RESERVE (5 minutes walk); walks in an AREA OF OUTSTANDING NATURAL BEAUTY. Bus shuttle operates to village connecting with most trains. Click HERE to view timetable.

ARNSIDE

5Âľ miles from Carnforth; junction for Kendal Branch. Opened July 1858 by Ulverston & Lancaster Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

Local attractions: SEASIDE VILLAGE with fine views and walks in an AREA OF OUTSTANDING NATURAL BEAUTY.

Pubs/cafés near station: THE BIG CHIP (3 minutes walk); Ye Olde Fighting Cocks (5 minutes walk); THE ALBION (10 minutes walk).

GRANGE-OVER-SANDS

9 miles from Carnforth. Opened 1 September 1857 by Ulverston & Lancaster Railway. Station designed by Edward Paley c.1866; Grade II listed. Current status: open, staffed; bookstall/newsagents, toilets.

Local attractions: SMALL TOWN with promenade (1¼ miles) with fine bay views, gardens, etc.; walks to Hampsfell Hospice view point (40 minutes from station); Cartmel Priory (local bus from station forecourt).

Pubs/cafés/hotels near station: GRANGE HOTEL (driveway opposite), HAZLEMERE CAFE (2 minutes, opposite station), Commodore Hotel (6 minutes walk); more from GRANGE TOURIST INFORMATION CENTRE.

KENTS BANK

11 miles from Carnforth. Opened 1 September 1857 by Ulverston & Lancaster Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

Local attractions: views over Morecambe Bay.

CafĂ©s, etc. near station: KB’s (5 minutes walk)

CARK & CARTMEL

Opened 1 September 1857 by Ulverston & Lancaster Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

Local attractions: HOLKER HALL (1 mile).

Pubs/cafes near station: ENGINE INN (5 minutes).

ULVERSTON

19 miles from Carnforth; junction for Windermere Lake Side. Opened 7 June 1854 by Furness Railway as terminus, through station opened 1 September 1857. Station designed by Paley & Austin c.1876; Grade II listed. Current status: open, staffed.

Local attractions: SMALL MARKET TOWN with interesting shops, market hall, pubs, LAUREL & HARDY MUSEUM; street market on Thursdays and Saturdays.

LINDAL

Opened 6 May 1851 by Furness Railway. Closed 1 October 1951.

DALTON

23½ miles from Carnforth. Opened 26 August 1846 by Furness Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

Local attraction: SOUTH LAKES SAFARI ZOO (1 mile)

FURNESS ABBEY

Opened: 26 August 1846 by Furness Railway. Closed: 25 September 1950.

For information about the Abbey click here ENGLISH HERITAGE or HERE for the Barrow-in-Furness Civic and Local History Society

ROOSE

26Âľ miles from Carnforth. Opened June 1851 by Furness Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

BARROW-IN-FURNESS

28½ miles from Carnforth. Opened 1 June 1882 by Furness Railway replacing earlier station. Original station building destroyed by enemy action in May 1941. Current status: open, staffed.

Local attractions: a large town with modern shopping centre. Click for more information about ATTRACTIONS including the very fine DOCK MUSEUM

ASKAM

34½ miles from Carnforth. Opened: March 1851 by Furness Railway. Station designed by Paley & Austin. Current status: open, unstaffed.

KIRKBY-IN-FURNESS

Opened: 26 August 1846 by Furness Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

FOXFIELD

40 miles from Carnforth; junction for Coniston. Opened 1 August 1858 by Furness Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

GREEN ROAD

42 miles from Carnforth. Opened June 1852 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

MILLOM

44Âľ miles from Carnforth. Opened 1 November 1850 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

Local attractions: MILLOM FOLK MUSEUM (in station building); the Heritage and Arts Centre, click HERE for details.

SILECROFT

47Âľ miles from Carnforth. Opened 1 November 1850 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

Good beach 20 minutes walk from station.

BOOTLE

53 miles from Carnforth. Opened: 8 July 1850 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

Village 15 minutes walk from station.

ESKMEALS

Opened: 8 July 1850 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Closed: 3 August 1959.

RAVENGLASS

57½ miles from Carnforth; junction for Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway. Opened: 21 July 1849 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status; open, unstaffed.

Local attractions: SEASIDE VILLAGE

Pubs etc. near station: Café at R&ER station, PENNINGTON HOTEL (5 minutes walk).

DRIGG

59Âľ miles from Carnforth. Opened: 21 July 1849 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status: open unstaffed.

SEASCALE

61½ miles from Carnforth. Opened: 21 July 1849 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

SELLAFIELD

63½ miles from Carnforth, junction with Whitehaven, Cleator & Egremont Railway. Opened: 21 July 1849 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

BRAYSTONES

65ÂĽ miles from Carnforth. Opened: 21 July 1849 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

NETHERTOWN

67 miles from Carnforth. Opened: 21 July 1849 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

ST. BEES

69Âľ miles from Carnforth. Opened: 21 July 1849 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

Local attractions: SEASIDE VILLAGE, beach 1/2 mile.

CORKICKLE

73½ miles from Carnforth. Opened: 3 December 1855 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

WHITEHAVEN BRANSTY

74½ miles from Carnforth. Opened: 19 March 1847 by Whitehaven Junction Railway as terminus, through platforms opened 24 December 1874. Current status: open, staffed.

Local attractions: classic Georgian town with shops, harbour, museums, etc.; click HERE for information.