image awol!
(extract from the Railway Year Book, 1921)


FREDERICK J. RAMSDEN (Chairman), Abbots Wood, Furness Abbey
MYLES KENNEDY (Deputy Chairman) Stone Cross, Ulverston
LIEUT.-COL. J. A. JACKSON, Sella Park, Calderbridge, Cumberland
SIR JOHN S. RANDLES, Bristowe Hill, Keswick, Cumberland
G. MURE RITCHIE, 18 Avenue Road, London, N.W.8

General Manager: L. SPEAKMAN
Chief Assistant: H. CURSON
Secretary: G. LINTON
Chief Assistant: J. F. LONGRIGG
Engineer and Locomotive Superintendent – DAVID L. RUTHERFORD, M.Inst. C.E.
Assistant Engineer: T. D. MASON
Chief Clerk: T. H. NICHOLAS
Assistant Locomotive Engineer: E. SHARPLES, M.Inst. M.E.
Goods Manager: T. JACKSON
Chief Clerk: JOHN E. HAYNES
Superintendent of the Line: A. A. HAYNES
Chief Clerk: D. D. MACDONALD
Accountant: J. J. P. BENTHAM
Chief Clerk: W. E. HARRISON
Audit Accountant: T. FALLOWS
Chief Clerk: R. TREMBLE
Horse Superintendent: T. JACKSON
Registrar: W. E. THOMPSON
Stores Superintendent: G. H. DEWRANCE
Harbour Master: COMMANDER C. BISSETT, R. N.
Chief Clerk: G. H. DEWRANCE
Dock Superintendent: CAPT. F. J. WILLIAMS
Hotel and Refreshment Room Manager: F. HANSCOMBE, Furness Abbey Hotel
< Chief Medical Officer: DR. R. O. BOWMAN, Ulverston
Auditors: R. F. MILLER and J. L. McILRAITH, Barrow-in-Furness
Solicitors: CURREY & CO.,14 Great George Street, Westminster
Parliamentary Agents: GRAHAMES, CURREY & SPENS, 30 Great George Street, Westminster

This old and at one time highly lucrative railway dates back to 1844 for its incorporation. The first portion was opened on the 11th August 1846. The line, as originally laid, was principally for mineral traffic, and extended from Barrow and Piel Pier to the Dalton Mines and Kirkby Quarries. In December, 1846, the railway commenced to convey passenger traffic, and subsequently, extensions were made to Whitehaven, Carnforth, Lake Side (Windermere), Coniston, etc.

The Furness Ry. Forms an important link in the railway communications to the Lake District, whilst the important port of Barrow, with its excellent and capacious docks, consisting of 278 acres, is served solely by the Company. The Furness Ry. is in close alliance with the Midland and L. and N. W. Rys. Under the Whitehaven and Furness Junction Act, 1865, powers were obtained to construct a viaduct across the Duddon Estuary. This, however, was abandoned; but for all that, the Company carries out its obligations by conveying passengers a distance of nine miles and only charging four, the latter being the distance by the proposed viaduct. Originally the Furness main line did not run through Barrow. There was, of course, a station in Barrow, but passenger were brought back to Furness Abbey, thence over the loop line to Askam, and on the Millom and Whitehaven. In the year 1882, the Central Station, Barrow, was built, and the line carried through the town. This necessarily increased the distance by 7½ miles, but the Company did not increase their fares. The Furness Ry. is joint owner with the Midland Rly. of the Carnforth and Wennington Line, also own and work Whitehaven, Cleator and Egremont Line jointly with the L. and N. W. Rly.; and work Cleator and Workington Junction Line between Cleator Moor Junction and Siddick Junction, Calva Junction and Linefoot Junction, the Lonsdale Dock Branch, and the Workington Bridge Curve.

Running Powers are exercised over sections of the L. and N. W. Ry.

Important Bridges, Viaducts, etc.: Kent, Leven, Duddon, and Eskmeals viaducts.
Largest Station: Barrow Central, 4 platforms and covers 15 acres of ground.
Steepest Gradient: 1 in 49, for 27 chains, on the Coniston branch, falling towards Broughton.
Longest Tunnel: Whitehaven, 1,333 yds.long.
Summit level: Near Torver Station, 345 feet above sea level.
Mile Posts and Gradient Boards: on down side of main line.
Brake: Automatic Vacuum.
Driver's position on the footplate: Left hand.
Hotel Owned: Furness Abbey Hotel.
Colour of Tickets: First-class single and return, white; third-class single and return, green or drab.
Docks: Barrow: Docks consist of the Devonshire, Buccleuch, Ramsden, and Cavendish Docks, comprising 278 acres of water space. The length of the quays on these docks is 2½ miles, and the water area of the Timber Dock is 21 acres. The entrance lock at Ramsden Dock and the Buccleuch Dock passageway are 97 ft. 3 in. and 100 ft. wide respectively. The docks and quays are lighted with electricity. Cavendish Dock, of 146½ acres, has been leased to Messrs Vickers, Limited.
A Deep Water Berth has also been provided in Walney Channel between the Ramsden Dock entrance and the harbour yard pier, 850 feet long and 100 feet wide, with a depth of water at L.W.O.S. of 33 feet.
Docks, Harbours and Wharves (Quayage): Devonshire Dock and Basin (1 mile 7 chains); Buccleuch Dock (75 chains); Ramsden Dock, Lock and Basin (1 mile 44 chains); Belfast and Fleetwood wharves (14 chains).
Canals: Ulverston, about 1¼ miles in length; constructed 1795; taken over 1862.

Lake Steamers:

Name Where stationed Number of Passengers
Lady of the Lake Coniston Lake 376
Gondola " 225
Swan Windermere Lake 442
Teal " 326
Cygnet " 326
Tern " 633
Swift " 781
Raven " Cargo

Number of Shareholders: Debenture, 1,530; Preference, 3,950; Ordinary. 2,290. excluding joint proprietors.

STATISTICS: Year Ending 31st December 1920.
Capital Issued (including nominal additions)

Loans and Debenture Stock £2,396,123
Preference Stock £3,029,875
Ordinary Stock £2,643,000

Capital Expenditure: Year ending December 31st, 1920 £17,718
Total to December 31st, 1920 £7,030,597

Revenue Receipts and Expenditure on the Whole Undertaking:

Receipts in respect of railway working and or separate businesses carried on by the Company, under the terms of the agreement with the Government in respect of the control of the railways £1,633,749
Expenditure £1,269,868
Net Receipts £263,881
Miscellaneous Receipts (net) £7,655
Total Net Income £271,536

Dividend: 2 per cent for the year.

Mileage: Owned, 114 miles 53 chains; share of joint lines, 23 miles 62 chains; share of lines worked; 19 miles 37 chains; total mileage, first track, 157 miles 72 chains; second track, 99 miles 3 chains, third track, 2 miles 56 chains, fourth track, 1 mile 4 chains; total length of single track, 430 miles 44 chains.

Rolling Stock (Rail): Locomotives (Steam): tender, 20 (4-4-0), 1 (2-4-0), 65 (0-6-0), total, 86; tank, 4 (4-6-4), 23 (0-6-2), 18 (0-6-0), 1 (0-4-0), and 6 (4-4-2); total 54, total locomotives, 140; tenders, 91. Rail motor-car, 1; passenger train vehicles 377, goods train vehicles 7,368, service vehicles 428.

Road Traffic Equipment: 5 goods and parcels motor vehicles; 51 carts and wagons; 27 horses for road vehicles.

Steamboats: (250 tons and under), 7.

Houses and Dwelling Owned: 152 houses or cottages for railway servants, 823 other houses or cottages.

Traffic (originating on system).: Nos. of passengers: 1st class, 31,319; 3rd class, 2,622,014; workmen, 2,588,203; total, 5,241,536. Season tickets, 1st class 143; 3rd class 1,224. Goods tonnage: merchandise 450,818; coal, coke and patent fuel, 300,452; other minerals, 2,365.085; total 3,116,355. Head of livestock, 68,927.

Traffic mileage: Train miles (loaded): coaching, 746,143; goods, 747, 431. Total train miles, 1,610,007. Total engine miles, 2,790,737.