The Association is well aware of the increasing interest in this subject which is attracting numbers of queries to its officers about railway ancestors. To this end the CRA has created a database of references to Cumbrian railway employees derived from a large number of sources including official railway documents, staff magazines, accident and newspaper reports, local directories and many more. It the start of 2009 this contains about 18,000 records, but covers a tiny fraction of the total number of men and women who have worked for the railways of Cumbria since their construction.
A list of Furness Railway staff whose names are referred to in the Furness Railway Magazine may be downloaded from the National Railway Museum website from HERE. This staff magazine was published from 1921 to 1923 and gives many details of staff activities, promotions, retirements, reminiscences and more. Copies may be purchased from the CRA on CD as a pdf searchable file. For details click HERE.
The database is strongest in references from West Cumbria, with few records from Carlisle, which at its peak probably provided employment for over 3000 railway workers. The database has full lists of employees of the Maryport & Carlisle Railway for 1891 and 1909, and many records also from the Cleator & Workington and LNWR & FR Joint lines. Little data is available for the grouping period from 1923 and no records have been recorded from later than 1930 to avoid possible recording of living persons and potential problems with the Data Protection Act. The database also contains references to the names of those railwaymen of Cumbria and North Lancashire who died in the Great War of 1914-18, a list of men from the Furness Railway who were recorded by the Company on a Roll of Honour to have signed up for service during that period.
The CRA has published a Roll of Honour of the railwaymen of Cumbria who died in World War One with some information on each of the men who died. For details go to the publication page HERE.
For the Furness Railway many official staff records survive in the NATIONAL ARCHIVES at Kew with microfilm copies available at the CUMBRIA COUNTY RECORD OFFICE at Barrow. Many of these records have been added to the database, including those for the Traffic Department up to 1900, the Goods Department for the early 1900s, and Headquarters staff for 1900-1923. Unfortunately there seem to be no surviving records for the Locomotive Department.
The database records are listed alphabetically by surname. Please click on the initial letter to see the records.
For more information and enquiries please email from HERE.