image awol!

STATIONS OF THE FURNESS RAILWAY
Main Line, Carnforth to Whitehaven

Only stations open on or after 1 January 1923 are listed.

CARNFORTH
Furness Railway 0 miles. Opened 22nd September 1846 by Lancaster & Carlisle Railway, Ulverston & Lancaster line platforms from 1857. Main line platforms closed from 4 May 1970. Current status: open, unstaffed.
Local attractions: BRIEF ENCOUNTER visitor centre in station building.
Pubs/hotels near station:
  • ROYAL STATION HOTEL
  • (opposite station; meeting place of RCTS Furness Lakes and Lune Branch).

    SILVERDALE
    14 miles from Carnforth. Opened 1 September 1857 by Ulverston & Lancaster Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.
    Local attractions: RSPB LEIGHTON MOSS RESERVE (5 minutes walk); walks in an AREA OF OUTSTANDING NATURAL BEAUTY. Bus shuttle operates to village connecting with most trains. Click HERE to view timetable.

    ARNSIDE
    5¾ miles from Carnforth; junction for Kendal Branch. Opened July 1858 by Ulverston & Lancaster Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.
    Local attractions: SEASIDE VILLAGE with fine views and walks in an AREA OF OUTSTANDING NATURAL BEAUTY.
    Pubs/cafés near station: THE BIG CHIP (3 minutes walk); Ye Olde Fighting Cocks (5 minutes walk); THE ALBION (10 minutes walk).

    GRANGE-OVER-SANDS
    9 miles from Carnforth. Opened 1 September 1857 by Ulverston & Lancaster Railway. Station designed by Edward Paley c.1866; Grade II listed. Current status: open, staffed; bookstall/newsagents, toilets.
    Local attractions: SMALL TOWN with promenade (1¼ miles) with fine bay views, gardens, etc.; walks to Hampsfell Hospice view point (40 minutes from station); Cartmel Priory (local bus from station forecourt).
    Pubs/cafés/hotels near station: GRANGE HOTEL (driveway opposite), HAZLEMERE CAFE (2 minutes, opposite station), Commodore Hotel (6 minutes walk); more from GRANGE TOURIST INFORMATION CENTRE.

    KENTS BANK
    11 miles from Carnforth. Opened 1 September 1857 by Ulverston & Lancaster Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.
    Local attractions: views over Morecambe Bay.
    Cafés, etc. near station: KB's (5 minutes walk), ABBOTT HALL HOTEL (outside station).

    CARK & CARTMEL
    Opened 1 September 1857 by Ulverston & Lancaster Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.
    Local attractions: HOLKER HALL (1 mile).
    Pubs/cafes near station: ENGINE INN (5 minutes).

    ULVERSTON
    19 miles from Carnforth; junction for Windermere Lake Side. Opened 7 June 1854 by Furness Railway as terminus, through station opened 1 September 1857. Station designed by Paley & Austin c.1876; Grade II listed. Current status: open, staffed.
    Local attractions: SMALL MARKET TOWN with interesting shops, market hall, pubs, LAUREL & HARDY MUSEUM; street market on Thursdays and Saturdays.

    LINDAL
    Opened 6 May 1851 by Furness Railway. Closed 1 October 1951.

    DALTON
    23½ miles from Carnforth. Opened 26 August 1846 by Furness Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.
    Local attraction: SOUTH LAKES SAFARI ZOO (1 mile)

    FURNESS ABBEY
    Opened: 26 August 1846 by Furness Railway. Closed: 25 September 1950.
    For information about the Abbey click here ENGLISH HERITAGE or HERE for the Barrow-in-Furness Civic and Local History Society

    ROOSE
    26¾ miles from Carnforth. Opened June 1851 by Furness Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

    BARROW-IN-FURNESS
    28½ miles from Carnforth. Opened 1 June 1882 by Furness Railway replacing earlier station. Original station building destroyed by enemy action in May 1941. Current status: open, staffed.
    Local attractions: a large town with modern shopping centre. Click for more information about ATTRACTIONS including the very fine DOCK MUSEUM

    ASKAM
    34½ miles from Carnforth. Opened: March 1851 by Furness Railway. Station designed by Paley & Austin. Current status: open, unstaffed.

    KIRKBY-IN-FURNESS
    Opened: 26 August 1846 by Furness Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

    FOXFIELD
    40 miles from Carnforth; junction for Coniston. Opened 1 August 1858 by Furness Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.
    Pub near station: PRINCE OF WALES (opposite).

    GREEN ROAD
    42 miles from Carnforth. Opened June 1852 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

    MILLOM
    44¾ miles from Carnforth. Opened 1 November 1850 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.
    Local attractions: MILLOM FOLK MUSEUM (in station building); many other local attractions, click HERE for details.

    SILECROFT
    47¾ miles from Carnforth. Opened 1 November 1850 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.
    Good beach 20 minutes walk from station.

    BOOTLE
    53 miles from Carnforth. Opened: 8 July 1850 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.
    Village 15 minutes walk from station.

    ESKMEALS
    Opened: 8 July 1850 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Closed: 3 August 1959.

    RAVENGLASS
    57½ miles from Carnforth; junction for Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway. Opened: 21 July 1849 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status; open, unstaffed.
    Local attractions: SEASIDE VILLAGE
    Pubs etc. near station: RATTY ARMS (in station building), café at R&ER station; PENNINGTON HOTEL (5 minutes walk).

    DRIGG
    59¾ miles from Carnforth. Opened: 21 July 1849 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status: open unstaffed.

    SEASCALE
    61½ miles from Carnforth. Opened: 21 July 1849 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

    SELLAFIELD
    63½ miles from Carnforth, junction with Whitehaven, Cleator & Egremont Railway. Opened: 21 July 1849 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

    BRAYSTONES
    65¼ miles from Carnforth. Opened: 21 July 1849 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

    NETHERTOWN
    67 miles from Carnforth. Opened: 21 July 1849 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

    ST. BEES
    69¾ miles from Carnforth. Opened: 21 July 1849 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.
    Local attractions: SEASIDE VILLAGE, beach 1/2 mile.

    CORKICKLE
    73½ miles from Carnforth. Opened: 3 December 1855 by Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway. Current status: open, unstaffed.

    WHITEHAVEN BRANSTY
    74½ miles from Carnforth. Opened: 19 March 1847 by Whitehaven Junction Railway as terminus, through platforms opened 24 December 1874. Current status: open, staffed.
    Local attractions: classic Georgian town with shops, harbour, museums, etc.; click HERE for information.